Selling your home can be challenging, we all want to minimise the amount of time it takes between putting the property on the market and selling it, whilst maximising the profit from the sale. In this article we will look at some of the most common mistakes that home sellers make when selling their properties.
Be sale ready
Time is not just of the essence for you as the seller of the property. Potential buyers will also be in a hurry to get everything sorted as well, so you need to make sure that your home is sale ready. Not being sale ready will slow down the process or even jeopardise buyer interest. Here are a few ways you can make sure you are ready for the process:
- Kerb appeal. It is well known that first impressions count. If a prospective buyer turns up to your home and the door paint is peeling or the garden is overgrown, it is likely that they will form an instant and lasting negative view. Make sure that the outside of your home has that wow factor. Tidy, prune, repair and weed your way to a good first impression.
- Have your documents ready. A lot of time can be wasted getting the sale documents together so make sure you have your sales pack ready to go. This will speed the process up and also show both the agents and the buyers that you are organised and serious.
- Clean your home thoroughly and carry out all those minor repairs that have been hanging around on the to-do list. Make sure you keep your home clean and tidy throughout the process and be ready for last minute viewings. Put as much of your personal belongings away as you can, to create more of a “blank canvas” for viewings.
- Be flexible on viewings and ensure your agent has your keys. Communicate clearly if there are any dates when a viewing isn’t possible to manage expectations.
- Make sure that you have your own affairs in order, consider arranging a mortgage in principle for your new home (if you need one) and have a conveyancer appointed.
Price it right
One of the biggest mistakes sellers make is overpricing their property. This is often done to give yourself leeway to negotiate but it can be counterproductive as it might put off potential buyers. Accurate pricing of your property is the best way to get the viewings, the price you want and also the swiftest sale.
Take the advice
Your agent has excellent local knowledge and understands the local property market fully. Many sellers choose to ignore their agent’s advice to their detriment. Your agent wants your property to sell as much as you do so be sure to listen to their advice, they are there to help.
Many people choose an agent simply because they are the cheapest or give the highest valuation. Although this can be very tempting, it is not always the best for you. Although price and valuations are important, you also need an agent who will be open and honest with you as well as have excellent local market knowledge. It is the whole package you are looking for the get your house details out to the widest possible audience and get the potential buyers in through your door.
Thinking of selling your home and need some of that open and honest advice? Why not pop in to one of our branches and speak to one of our local property experts. With over 30 sales and lettings offices across the Midlands our friendly experts at Newton Fallowell are here to help you every step of the way.